Locate books and eBooks that contain primary sources
Use Libsearch (Advanced Search) to search for books and eBooks on your topic
- Put your topic words (people, places, events) in the first search boxes with the All Fields Search Type selected (the default)
- southampton insurrection
- (slaves OR slavery) AND "united states"
- (women OR wives OR wife) AND "united states"
- Put the type of primary text or texts you are looking for in the subsequent search box and select the Subject Terms Search Type.
NOTE: You must use one of the words listed below since primary text catalog records generally use one of these words as part of their Subject Heading(s):
- sources (one of the most common words that identifies primary texts)
- document* (note the truncation character at the end of this term)
- personal narratives
- periodicals (identifies newspapers, magazines, or journals)
You may want to combine some of the above words using OR
sources OR "personal narratives" OR correspondence OR diaries
(Skip this step when looking for literary works not covered by any of the terms above)
- For example:
If you enter the following Advanced Search in Libsearch...
Any Field: (slaves OR slavery) AND "united states"
Subject: sources OR "personal narratives" OR correspondence OR diaries
Material Type: Books
...you will obtain results that include:
Slave Testimony: Two Centuries of Letters, Speeches, Interviews, and Autobiographies
(NOTE: These tips are adapted with permission from Sarah Shoemaker, Archives & Special Collections Librarian at Brandeis)